Running from CDROM on Win95

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the archive search doesn't like
terms such as "cd-rom", "cd", and "run from".

Can Cygwin 1.x be run from a CDROM? I don't mean the distribution
cdrom -- I would be burning my own. Obviously /tmp would have to
mounted to something writable, but could /usr, /lib and /etc be on
a CD? Where's the mount-table stored?

Motivation: I have a number of identically configured, elderly Win95 machines
with small hard-drives with less than 50MB free. I'd like to be able to put
a CD-ROM in the drive of any one of them and access the cygnus utilities,
bash, perl etc.

TIA,

Jim