Re: Minor cygwin/binutils problems

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 03:47:57PM +0200, Thomas Sailer wrote:
> >I'm having minor problems with recent cygwin binutils
> >(I compiled them by myself as cross tools hosted on both
> >sun-sparc-solaris2.5.1 and linux-i386 from the cygwin sources
> >downloaded about 2 months ago).
>
> If you are having problems with binutils, then you probably should report
> them to the binutils mailing list, especially, if this is not the version
> that is available from the cygwin download site.

[I can only find about an hour every two days to work on this.
 I plan to post more details when I have more time. ]

I, too, have been trying to build a cross compiler (linux and irix hosted
variants).  I'm using sources from the cygwin latest directory.
cygwin-1.1.2 vintage.

I can sucessfully build binutils, gcc, and cygwin on linux.  I can't build
the cygwin libs on irix becuase of identifier conflicts.  I need to look
into *why* that's happening.  Looks like an offending header somewhere.

This is with a little help from someone who saw my earlier post in this
mailing list and emailed me directly.  He has a simple patch to binutils
that gets it to build.  That's binutils-20000625.  And he has a patch for
cygwin and renames some of the targets produced by the gcc build.  He's
having some problems with executables produced by his xcompiler (linux
hosted), but I'm unclear if he said they are xcompiler problems or cygwin
bugs.  I can compile and run a hello world app with my xcompiler.

I looked into it further and found what I think is a bug in binutils
(libtool actually), but haven't had the time yet to verify and figure out
what the right place is to report it.

I have a patch (one line...one word, actually) to libtool that fixes
things for me.  But this is a patch to configure, not configure.in.  The
real problem is, I think, with AM_PROG_LIBTOOL, which is called by
configure.in.

Is someone out there knowlegable about this stuff and willing to listen to
my thoughts on this?  Prior to last friday, I was completely
automake/autoconf/binutils/libtool illiterate, so I want to do a sanity
check before reporting this on the binutils list.

Is the binutils list the right place to report this?  Who owns libtool?  I
don't think libtool is necessarily wrong, just that binutils is a special
case that shouldn't use AM_PROG_LIBTOOL as-is.  I did a search on the
binutils list, but didn't come up with anything that looks related.

[disclaimer: I haven't looked at this since the weekend, so I could be
 mis-remembering what I diagnosed to be the problem and the fix.]

-jeff