Re: Cygwin Announcements and FTP mirrors

I used setup.exe yesterday, starting with ftp.freesoftware.com and had to
kill it because I was getting a 550 error for login-1.4.  So I reran it
with ftp.sunsite.utk.edu, which was supposed to have it.  I was able to get
login-1.4 fine, but then one of the next packages gives me a 550 error, and
I had to exit setup.exe and rerun it with gd.tuwien.ac.at.  Then THAT one
was missing a file, and I had to switch again to one of the other ones.

I can understand a mirror not being quite up to synch with just released
files, but it's very annoying to have to keep exiting setup.exe and
restarting it to switch to another mirror which does have the file, and
then switch back when it doesn't have one of the next files.

Since getting mirrors up to date on a rapidly moving target will always be
somewhat problematic, perhaps setup.exe can be modified to deal with this
in a more elegant manner.  If a file is not found, perhaps it can pull up
the mirrors list again, and allow you to select a different mirror, rather
than just moving on and installing a partial distribution, which is what it
wanted to do.

Jon