NT login problems

Is there some trick for getting passwords to work with NT? If I run
telnetd under Cygwin, I can connect, but my password is not
recognised. Similary if I run login. If I run passwd, it only asks me
for the new password ... then says it's incorrect!

Alternatively, is there some way of just bypassing NT's authentication
(which is presumably the cause of the problem) other than rebuilding
login with a back door?

Edmund