Re: instalation in other than c:\

DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> > BTW, this brings up some points about the installer. Shouldn't the
> > default installation stuff be stored in a global registry setting
> > somewhere instead of the current user setting?
>
> If you check the "all users" option in the root path dialog, it
> will install everything (registry, desktop, start menu) globally.
> You *did* check that box, didn't you?

Eh? You must be using a pre-release version of setup.exe, since the
version I am using (downloaded late last week, and dated 7/13/2000
10:37PM) simply asks me where to install from (current directory in
my case as I use a mirror program to pull everything down), and then
asks me where to put it all and that's it. It goes on directly and
starts installing.

If I *did* get this question I would definately have told it to do it
for all users as I always do installations as Administrator
specifically to ensure I flesh out problems other users will have
when I try to use the apps myself from my own local account (even
though my account has Administrator priveledges and could be used for
the install).

> I'm not sure what the default should be, but I suspect that the
> right way would auto-detect if you had admin privs and select
> defaults accordingly.

That would be a really good idea!

> > Or perhaps some 'user install' utility should be created to set this
> > up correctly for each user that wishes to use the shared Cygwin
> > installation?
>
> We've thought about that, but better would be to fix mkpasswd so
> that it creates a globally usable password file.

You mean one that would automatically merge both the local and domain
passwords into a single file? That would be cool. Although in the
interim an option in the installer would be nice as I think most
users doing NT installs who use a network will need domain accounts.

Regards,

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |