RE: Extending cygwin's process table

[Andrew Dalgleish]

I'd say mix 'em up, for two reasons:

1.
Some security conscious OSs generate random PIDs to prevent certain
types of attack.
Think about /tmp file predictions.
If you know process FOO has a PID of N, and its child creates a file
/tmp/son-of-foo.$$, you could create a symlink from
/tmp/son-of-foo.(N+1) to /etc/passwd.

2.
Unless you can guarantee that the cygwin PIDs are the same as windows
PIDs, I would suggest that you make them as different as possible to
discourage people from confusing the two.
If they are the same 99% of the time, some fool will think they are
*always* the same and come to rely on it.
Then you'll get posts of "but it works on NT".

Regards,
Andrew Dalgleish