Re: compiling and running zsh

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 01:16:54PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>Since I've made this point before, I'll be brief.  While in theory it makes
>allot of sense to use ORBS to help control spam, in practice it pushes the
>responsibility for managing spam onto the posters of this list.  As this
>poster notes, he has no control over what relays are made to reach the Cygwin
>mail server.  In my case, my ISP does not have an open relay but ORBS
>classifies it as such since it will send email with any address once an
>email client checks email using an address of a valid user (actually,
>my ISP and ORBS seem to vacillate on whether this constitutes an open relay
>or not so my mail is sometime blocked and sometimes not.)  My ISP claims
>this arrangement is necessary for them and personally, I don't see why this
>arrangement constitutes an open relay.  Regardless, the point is that I don't
>have control over this either, just like the poster.  I've long thought that
>its inappropriate for mail lists to block email based on ORBS, since its
>basically just a case of "passing the buck" onto the user community, which
>discourages participation.  I understand the need to control spam, but I
>fail to see why its more the responsibility of individual posters than it
>is of the sites controlling the list.  Certainly it seems like at least
>*subscribers* to this list shouldn't be blocked regardless...
>
>I've made my point (again!;-)).  I'm done cluttering the list...

Just in case it isn't clear, the decision to use ORBS was a general
decision made for all sourceware mailing lists.  AFAIK, I have no way of
turning off ORBS checking for just the cygwin mailing list.  I think
that this mailing list has been relatively spam free lately and I think
that this is largely due to this decision.  However, the decision was
not my decision (how's that for a cop-out).

I understand that it is a pain in the neck not to be able to post.  We're
probably going to be looking into a feature for selectively allowing people
to bypass the ORBS block.  In fact, I'll put it on the agenda for the
next sourceware "sourcemaster" meeting.

cgf