Serial line problems. Does anyone have a working getty?

Hi,

I've been trying, but failing, to get mgetty to work on /dev/com1.

The serial line works fine under NT using Hyperterminal, but in cygwin
attempts to change the port speed or set canonical input mode fail.  I
once got a shell started, but it's hard working without such niceties
as echoing.  stty reports "unable to perform all requested operations"
for just about any operation I request.

I'm using cygwin 1.1.2 (0.21/3/2) and NT 4.0 build 1381; SP4.

Am I experiencing known cygwin limitations, or weirdness with my
system?

Does anyone have a working getty-like program for cygwin?  Or any
suggestions on how best to access my NT box from a serial line?

Thanks for any help,
-al