RE: telnetd oddities

My home path IS set correctly; I was referring to the environment variable PATH,
which the cygwin.bat file sets to include /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin. Because
when I telnet in, the cygwin.bat file is not executed, then this doesn't happen. I
realise I can set this manually via the NT environment variables.

> > 2)My .bashrc file is not executed when I telnet in. I've copied it to
> > .profile which is executed and I think this is probably the correct thing to
> > do (or have .profile source .bashrc).
>
> Are you sure using bash? Does your /etc/passwd entry have a
> /bin/bash entry or a /bin/sh entry? /bin/sh is ash.

Good point, I think I've got /bin/sh in the /etc/passwd file, my apologies for the
daft question! Although, I think when I changed it to /bin/bash, I had some
problems. I'll try it again.

> > 3) Telnet'ing in is fine, except if I run a DOS command (e.g., net start),
> > then the output is sent to a separate window on the PC screen and not back
> > to my telnet session. This is OK if all I want to do is run cygwin commands,
> > but life is never that convenient!
>
> Telnet uses pseudo tty for communication which are implemented
> using anonymous pipes. This isn't handled correctly by most native
> Windows CLI tools.

Is there a work around to this?

> Forget the beer. Contribute code instead. ;-)

I'll see what I can do!

Thanks for the response.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Science and Engineering Support Unit, University of Manchester.
Tel: +44 (161) 275 6093, Fax: +44 (161) 275 6071,