Problems with setup.exe

(Sorry for the delayed CC to the cygwin list, we had been blocked by ORBS.)

On Wednesday 28 Jun 00, jhlin@techie.com writes:
> I have tried for the past 2 days to install Cygwin.  It appears to
> try to download the mirror list from sourceware.cygnus.com, but
> fails.  The following is a copy of the execution of the setup.exe
> program.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy
> -------------------------
> This is the Cygwin setup utility (v1.45.2.3),
> built on Jun  8 2000 12:08:45.
>
> Use this program to install the latest version of the Cygwin Utilities
> from the Internet.
>
> Alternatively, if you already have already downloaded the appropriate files
> to the current directory (and subdirectories below it), this program can use
> those as the basis for your installation.
>
> If you are installing from the Internet, please run this program in an empty
> temporary directory.
>
> Press <enter> to accept the default value.
> Root directory? [C:\]

Jeremy,

In fact, the best choice for the root directory is C:\cygwin, unless
you're sure you want it in C:\.  Unfortunately, if you have at least
one unsuccessful setup attempt, then C:\ is used as the default
thereafter.  In that case, you should type C:\cygwin rather than
accept the (erroneous) default C:\ (assuming that's what you want).

> Install from the current directory (d) or from the Internet (i)? [i]
> Connecting to sourceware.cygnus.com...(try 40)
> Couldn't connect to ftp site.
> The parameter is incorrect.
>
> Unable to retrieve the list of cygwin mirrors.
> Couldn't connect to download site.

>From the FAQ:

	* Problems running setup.exe

	** Error message: "Unable to retrieve the list of cygwin mirrors..."

	This means that setup.exe could not make an http connection to
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/mirrors.html. This is
	required for an internet ('i') install. Either
	sourceware.cygnus.com was too busy, or there is a problem with
	your network. Note that setup.exe has very limited proxy
	functionality for firewalls, and depends on IE4 or later being
	installed and configured properly. If you cannot get the
	internet installation to work, just download the packages
	yourself and do a directory ('d') install.

Hope this helps.

David