From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 9:42 AM
To: Stucky, Mark B. UTRC; cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: System is sluggish when using cygwin...

--- "Stucky, Mark B.           UTRC" <StuckyMB@utrc.utc.com> wrote:

> I've been using the b20 version on my machine at home (Win98) for about
> a year now.  Generally everything was working just fine, but sometime in
> the last month (or two) I started noticing that the whole system would
> "slow" down and become sluggish whenever I was compiling.  For example,
> after starting a make in an rxvt window, the mouse would then be very
> slow to respond.

Do you have a Virus Scanner running?  Do/did you update the virus database?
All of the slow downs I've noticed happen because the Virus Scanner is running.

Also, were you using snapshots with b20?

> Thinking that upgrading to the latest version might help, I installed
> the 1.1.2 version last week.  However, I still see the same behavior
> with the new version.  Last night I noticed that the system clock also
> seems to be running slow, but I haven't verified that this behavior
> is related to cygwin.

Try disableing the Virus Scanner and see if that helps.

> I know that I should probably include some "cygcheck" output and
> probably some other info (that I just can't think of at the moment),
> but I'm posting this from work...

May have helped, however you can also look at it yourself and search the
archives for responses I've made to the cygcheck output of others.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>