Re: cd /d/somedir fails, but cd /d; cd somedir works

Hi Steve,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tolkin, Steve" <Steve.Tolkin@fmr.com>
To: <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 3:00 PM
Subject: RE: cd /d/somedir fails, but cd /d; cd somedir works

> I think I have found and fixed the problem.
> It was indeed that C: was mounted in binmode.  After I did this:
>
> 505~> mount -f -t c: /
> 506~> mount
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> C:\bin              /usr/bin            user         binmode
> C:\lib              /usr/lib            user         binmode
> d:                  /d                  user         textmode
> f:                  /f                  user         textmode
> c:                  /                   user         textmode
> e:                  /e                  user         textmode
>
> my "Permission denied" problems, as mentionned below, went away!
> I think this should be added to the FAQ and/or other relevant documents.
Is it wise (see above mount output) to have the same drive with common
forks of the tree mounted in two different mode?  You have C: mounted
text and C:\bin (as well as C:\lib) mounted as binary.
Now at what point in the path /usr/bin/test would cygwin switch from
text mode to binary mode. At / (text) at /usr (still text) /usr/bin (ha
ha now binary!) finally what happens if /usr/bin/fixer is a symlink to
/usr/fixer?  Is it text or binary?
Do you really want files in /bin to be CRLF ended and files in /usr/bin
to be LF terminated?

Something to think about?

Terry