Re: Is -mno-cygwin support being removed????

At 09:33 AM 6/13/00 -0600, Bruce E. Wampler wrote:

>I've gone over all the past messages in this group, and have found
>no solution.
>
>As far as I can tell, the -mno-cygwin option is useless in the
>latest net release version because it leads to the
>undefined symbol _impure_ptr at ld time.
>
>Given the net release is a couple of months old, that this
>problem was discussed over a month ago, and that nothing has
>been done, and that no work around has been posted means
>
>    NO ONE USES OR CARES about the -mno-cygwin option
>
>If the cygwin version of gcc is going to support -mno-cygwin,
>then the fact that it doesn't work at all in the latest release
>should be a MAJOR issue.
>
>Does the fact that cygwin is now Red Hat mean that
>support for non-cygwin apps is now going to go away?
>
>Cygwin folks - be honest with us. Let us know if
>you are dropping -mno-cygwin support so we can move on
>and support the real MinGW project and quit wasting our
>time on the cygwin release.
>--
>
>Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.
>
>Author of the V C++ GUI Framework
>
>e-mail: mailto:bruce@objectcentral.com
>web:    http://www.objectcentral.com

This reaction seems unnecessarily harsh.  I've seen no indication, overt
or otherwise, that would give the impression that -mno-cygwin is not going
to be supported.  Just because someone hasn't addressed problems you've
found as quickly as you would like is no reason to infer that the "Cygwin
folds" are covertly trying to remove the option.  This is an open-source
project.  If you don't like the progress in a certain area, jump in!  Maybe
you can fix it yourself and add benefit for everyone.  If you don't want
to or can't do this for some reason, perhaps providing some specific and
useful cases which demonstrate your problem and helping someone who's
willing to look at those issues would be a good option.  Suggesting that
something clandestine is going on just because an area you think is
important isn't getting the attention you think it deserves is unfair.
Seems to me as author of V, you should understand the way open-source works
as well as anyone.  The kind of feedback you've provided in your message
is unwarranted in this environment if you ask me...

                                       (508) 560-1285 - cell phone