Re: Make and javac compliler problem in bash

At 02:56 PM 6/12/00 -0400, Paul Kinnucan wrote:
>At 01:26 PM 6/12/00 -0700, Woody Jin wrote:
>
> >Whatever you do, "make" will stuck with javac.
> >

>Did you actually try running make in Unix mode as suggested in the FAQ?

Of course.

> >1) I thought that javac, being a product of Sun Microsystem, (and there
> exist
> >     its counterpart in Unix) would accept unix style path, which I found
> >is  not
> >     the case. It is better to write an application to accept both styles.
> >Maybe
> >     we should request Sun to do it, letting them know that in Windows there
> >     are many Unix tool users.
> >2) Rather than messing around the backslash and slash all over the places,
> >     and make Makefiles and other shell scripts incompatible with the Unix,
> >     (for example, I want to use the same Makefile on both platform - yes,
> >I have
> >      Sunworkstation on my left side and WindowsNT on my right side),
> >     maybe, bash or some other utility registers applications which requires
> >     windows specific path, and whenever you use unix style path, it
> >automatically
> >     converts to MS-DOS style when the system finally gives the application
> >the path.
> >

>Think about what you're asking. If you come up with a general, complete
>solution to the problem of unambiguously converting DOS to Unix paths, and
>vice-versa, without any additional information than what is in the paths
>(don't forget the little problem of drive letters), patent it. A lot of
>people would be very interested in your solution.

It doesn't need to be so genius. For example, try "gvim", which is a
Windows GUI implementation of vim. I can run it using any path names I want
under any environment (whether from MS-DOS console or bash console).

Since cygwin's mount information is in the windows registry,
why do you have any trouble in finding the drive letter ?
If you don't know how, please ask VIM developers.