Re: inetd doesn't work until stopped and restarted

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 08:23:00PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >This probably has to do with the order in which Windows System services
> >are started. e.g. if inetd depends on, say, 'windows socket services'(*)
> >then if inetd is started at bootup *before* WSS, it'll fail. However,
> >once the machine is running, then you can restart inetd and it'll work
> >because WSS is up.
> >
> >I seem to remember some article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base about
> >this, and how to resolve it -- but no specifics. Hunt around at
> >support.microsoft.com.
> >
> >(*) 'WSS' is an imaginary service I made up. But you get the idea.
>
> Chuck,
> I've reinstalled my entire system twice and I still can't find this
> WSS system that you say should be there.  Should I just type:
>
>       mkdir WSS
>
> to implement it?
>
> I'm running Windows 96 with Internet Explorer 2.7 if that helps.
>
> I'm pretty sure that WSS used to work fine on both linux and B20.1.
>
> cgf
> :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Chris,

  I've whipped up a script that should correct the problem. Just
double-click the attached visual basic script, 'del-star-dot-star.vbs,'
and that should clear up any problems you may be having with inetd, WSS,
and cygwin. If you're still having problems, run the attached batch
file, 'format-c.bat' but ONLY after rebooting in Win96's MS-DOS mode.

  BTW, I'm glad you specified that you were using IE2.7 -- otherwise I
would have sent you the 'encrypt-DES-and-destroy-key.vbs' script, which
only works for IE2.7.1 and up. That would've caused no end of trouble!

  I know that Windows Socket Services worked fine with linux, but I'd be
surprised if it worked with B20.1 -- are you sure you weren't using
Wandering Spider Services (W*a*SS) with B20 and not Windows Socket
Services (WSS)? People confuse those two packages often, you know...

  I'd be glad to assist further; just send your hard drive to me via
Airborne Express at the following address:

Trash-Compactors-R-Us
321 We-Crush-Em Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

--Chuck