<defunct> processes under Win9x...

I've debugged a problem I reported a few weeks ago a
little bit more, and I can tell you fairly well what's
happening.

I'm trying to get Apache 1.3.12 running, and when I
run CGI scripts, the subprocesses that run the script
become <defunct> and stay that way forever.  It
fork()s Apache, then calls one of the exec() functions
to run the CGI script synchronously.  In one of the
processes, it's spinning at the top of wait_subproc in
sigproc.cc.  It's appears that it will be in the loop
forever, although I haven't let the processes run for
more than a few minutes.

In that function, WaitForMultipleObjects() is
consistently returning WAIT_TIMEOUT, but
proc_loop_wait is still 500.  It appears that you set
it to 0 when it's time for the process to terminate,
but somehow that has not occurred.  The process has
already received several PROC_CHILDTERMINATED signals
into proc_subproc, which is why it's set to <defunct>
in the process table (zombie flag is set).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  There are
several strace logs that I sent in my earlier message
that may be useful - it's dated 5/23/2000.  It works
under WinNT (I ran it on my work system), but fails
under Win9x.  There are two strace logs - one for each
OS.  I know you hate dealing with Win9x, but I just
can't really upgrade this system to Win2K.

Thanks in advance!
- Ken.
ken_coleman@iname.com