Re: cygwin

On Wed, 31 May 00 04:41:38 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I use cygwin with w98.
>My question: how to install a thing like "/etc/profiles" or ~/.bashrc ?

Start bash; then type:

mkdir /etc (This might fail if /etc already exists)
cd /etc
cygpath -w /etc

You will now have the Windows directory path of /etc

You can then copy your profile (!! without 's' !!) file with explorer
or create a new profile from within bash.

now issue the command

ls -l /etc

from within your bash shell. You should see your profile and perhaps other files
like termcap.
Please make sure that profile does not end with the extension .txt or .doc!

now type:

cat /etc/profile

does the result look like a plain textfile ? Fine, go on

now type:

sh /etc/profile

if this works without an error you are done with profile.

Now type:

cd
cygpath -w ~

This sequence of commands has brought you in your home-directory, You now also
have the Windows Path to your home.

You can now test if there really is a .bashrc:

ls -l .bashrc

or

ls -l ~/.bashrc

>I want automatically some aliases to be loaded at startup.
>
>The bash uses c:\ as root (I assume: there lies the .bash_history), but
>it won't help when I place a '.bashrc' there (written with lower case).

Just in case, I have included a .bashrc and a profile as an attachment to this
mail. If they fail, you are really in trouble.

>Please excuse my bad english,

Same with me ;-)

Michael Ring

>greetings