Re: CygUtils Version of zip (and Symlinks)

Chris,

Chris Faylor wrote:
> If I am understanding what you're saying correctly, you are essentially
> trying to break cygwin's encapsulation of symlinks.  There is no
> guarantee that a symlink will always begin with "!<symlink>" or
> even that the contents will contain any kind of magic denoting a symlink.

That is why I called it a "very nasty hack."  I'm try to elicit the
proper way to read the (raw) contents of a Cygwin symlink file -- if
one exists.  Sounds like one doesn't.

> I am not sure why you aren't just using the same mechanism that something
> like tar uses to read and restore symlinks.

I'm not a zip expert (and trying not to become one) but the Cygwin
version of zip creates the archive as if it was produced by a native
Win32 zip.  Hence, I don't believe that there is a way to indicate that
a file is a symlink.

Beside, then one would have to extract using (the correspondingly
patched version of) unzip and could not use programs like WinZip.
Like I mentioned before, I feel that the bootstrapping potential is
very compelling.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235