Re: setup + mingwc10.dll + windows 98 = crash!!

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 10:14:45PM -0500, Tim Horton wrote:
>Chris Faylor <cgf at cygnus dot com> wrote:
>>>I've been having serious problems tyring to install the
>>>latest cygwin-1.1.1, specifically it seems with mingwc10.dll;
>>>mingwc10.dll hangs my windows 98 (first edition) system,
>>>every time I:
>>>- run setup (it hangs processing cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz)
>>>- copy the file in windows explorer
>>>- right click in windows explorer and select properties
>>
>>What, exactly is using mingwc10.dll?
>>I don't see why this program that is run by setup.exe that uses this
>>DLL.  What makes you think that it is at fault?
>
>Not sure I understand the english here.  In the first line, are you
>saying some running process is using mingwc10.dll?

I'm sorry you're having difficulty.  The sentence should have read
"I don't see any program that is run by setup.exe that uses this DLL."

Basically, you are mentioning "mingwc10.dll" but I don't understand why.

>I was doing these things IMMEDIATELY after booting up (easy since it
>kept hanging my machine), over and over again, and yes, I was running
>setup from a DOS window.  I'm 99.9% certain I have had no cygwin
>processes running at all...

And, I still don't see the mingwc10.dll connection.

>(I even deleted mingcw10.dll from /bin, and I think I've tried copying
>the new file in thereafter, including after eventually rebooting,
>though I'll try that again to be sure).

How about deleting it completely and not reinstalling it?  Nothing in
the setup process uses it and no cygwin program requires it.

>As for why minwc10.dll is at fault, it seems any interaction with it
>crashes my system if it involves READING the file from disk, or any
>copy of it.  It seems to have mysterious powers.  Something as minor as
>right clicking on it in windows explorer, and selecting "properties",
>hangs my machine.  Or copying it.  Deleting it is not a problem though.

I'm not a very superstitious person so I have to admit to some skepticism
when I hear about a DLL with magic powers.

>>Also, if setup is hanging extracting cygwin-1.1.1 that might point to
>>the fact that you're running a cygwin program.
>
>I will try a few more experiments.  Thanks!

The task manager will show you what is running.

cgf