Re: Help with setup utility (v1.43)

In article <20000519133534.A20612@cygnus.com>, Chris Faylor
<cgf@cygnus.com> writes
>>    I  use a mail/news reader called "Turnpike" to connect to my ISP De-
>>mon Internet over a modem.  I'm saying that once  connected,  the  Win32
>>FTP command works fine, as does Internet Explorer (3 in fact).
>
>Earnie was informing you that you NEED IE 5.0 or later installed for setup.exe
>to work.  This is a limitation that we've recently discovered.  We're going
>to fix this but it will take a while.

Dear Chris Faylor,

    This  is  a serious limitation of setup.exe for us.  We have stopped
wanting to know about new Microsoft products  since  the  time  of  IE4.
Like  a lot of people, we found it caused all manner of nasty inexplica-
ble problems.

    We have found that with both IE4 and IE5 that a lot of  strange  and
invidious  problems  occur  after  installation -- particularly it seems
with other Internet programs.  We very strongly believe that Netscape is
deliberately  "nobbled"  by  the  IE4/5 enhanced OS, as was the Turnpike
newsreader I'm writing from now.  Not only that, but the Microsoft  cor-
porate  strategy  of by-passing it's own software design contracts makes
the whole of their system...how can I say it...terrible.

    We'll have to go with your tar.gz solution for now (this presupposes
I know what I want as user tools!), but considering that there are a lot
of people like us -- end users running Windows with similar  experiences
to us -- I'm sure the fix you mentioned will be a great improvement, and
very welcome.

With many thanks,

Sandy
--
Alexander Anderson

mailto :     lists  at  almide period demon period co dot uk
bud-nav:     http://www.explosive-alma-services-bolts.co.uk/
pgp-sig:  1B5A DF3D A3D9 B932 39EB  3F1B 981F 4110 27E1 64A4