RE: tape support

Dear Ms. Vinschen

one problem is that the block size cannot be changed
since the tape unit is not a scsi one. and the mt command
recognizes it. and this prevents the change of the blocksize.

the tape used was formatted with the "tape.exe" utility from
hewlett packard for ms-dos. and can be used in ms-dos and
with the windows 3.11 utility, named cbwin.

i wonder that you are indicating that i have to format the
tape with ntbackup. isn't it?  this way the blocksize defined
by windows nt, the driver and the blocksize of the tape
may be the same number.

i have formatted my test tape with ntbackup but
the error in tar tvf /dev/ct about permissions persists

may be a way to change the blocksize in nt?
is there another alternative way to do it ?
what do you think?

about  >>bash-2.03$ mount -f -s -b file://./tape0 /dev/ct

well, this mount does not work. but as the previous mount i have
used creates the node but the mt and tar doesn't worked properly

i tried the this name that you wrote in your message,
this time the mount did'nt work. I put it in my message to you to
see that situation.

i then will continue to use the mount -f -s -b \\.\tape0 /dev/ct
command that is the correct as you indicate.
the output of mt that i show is not correct, isn't it?.
i also think so.

the tape was inserted in the bay and is a new formated one.
i have used this tape for all the testing

and also checked it using ms-dos and the utility cbwin
from hewlett packard, that is the windows 3.11 version
of the tape.exe utility that i have used to format the tape.

the tape was written and erased with cbwin and then used
again with nt and tar, with the results that you already know.

later the same tape was formated using ntbackup
and now it is the tape used for testing. the result of
mt was obtained using this newly formated tape

i have added the output of cygchck to the output
of the command you have requested
cygcheck output

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Tue May 09 02:23:32 2000

WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 6

 /usr/bin
 /usr/local/bin
 /usr/bin
 /usr/local/bin
 /usr/bin
 /usr/local/bin
 /NT/system32
 /NT
 /NT/system32
 /NT
 /delphipe/Delphi4/Bin
 /usr/bin
 /cygdrive/i/asig/ajpc/pl/bin

SysDir: C:\NT\System32
WinDir: C:\NT

Here's some environment variables that may affect cygwin:
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
PWD = `/'

Here's the rest of your environment variables:
!EXITCODE = `00000000'
!D: = `D:\COPIAS\cygwin\b20\cori'
COMPUTERNAME = `JUANLUIS'
COMSPEC = `C:\NT\system32\cmd.exe'
CONSOLE = `sl:600,x:400,y:400'
EDITOR = `C:\BIN\VI.EXE'
EPROLOG = `i:\ASIG\AJPC\SICSTUS3\PROLOG.BAT'
HOMEDRIVE = `C:'
HOMEPATH = `\'
HOSTNAME = `JUANLUIS'
HOSTTYPE = `i686'
INCLUDE = `%INCLUDE%;I:\asig\ajpc\pl\include'
LIB = `%LIB%;I:\asig\ajpc\pl\lib'
LOGONSERVER = `\\JUANLUIS'
MACHTYPE = `i686-pc-cygwin'
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS = `1'
OLDPWD = `/cygdrive/d/COPIAS/cygwin/b20/cori'
OS2LIBPATH = `C:\NT\system32\os2\dll;'
OS = `Windows_NT'
OSTYPE = `cygwin'
PATHEXT = `.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD'
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = `x86'
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = `x86 Family 5 Model 4 Stepping 2, CentaurHauls'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL = `5'
PROCESSOR_REVISION = `0402'
PROMPT = `$P$G'
SHELL = `/bin/sh'
SHLVL = `1'
SWI_HOME_DIR = `I:\asig\ajpc\pl'
SYSTEMDRIVE = `C:'
SYSTEMROOT = `C:\NT'
TEMP = `C:\TEMP'
TERM = `cygwin'
TMP = `C:\TEMP'
USERDOMAIN = `JUANLUIS'
USERNAME = `Administrador'
USERPROFILE = `C:\NT\Profiles\Administrador'
WINDIR = `C:\NT'
_ = `/usr/bin/cygcheck'

Scanning registry for keys with `Cygnus' in them...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000020
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `C:\'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
  (default) = `C:\bin'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `C:\lib'
  flags = 0x00000002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `C:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Installed Components
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Installed Components\C:/
  (default) = `0000'
  binutils = `19990818.0001'
  cygwin = `20000301'
  fileutils = `0000'
  findutils = `0000'
  grep = `0000'
  gzip = `0000'
  man = `0001.005g.0001'
  sed = `0000'
  shellutils = `0000'
  tar = `0001.0012.tape.cygwin1'
  time = `0000'
  bzip = `0000'
  gawk = `0000'
  groff = `0001.011a.0001'
  info = `0002.0018'
  less = `0000'
  mount = `00CV.cygwin1'
  mt = `0001.0008'
  patch = `0000'
  termcap = `0002'
  texinfo = `0000'
  textutils = `0000'
  win = `generic'
  xconq = `0007.0002.0002'
  cpio = `0002.0004.0002'
  cv = `cygwin1.0dll'
  robots = `0001.0003'
  sunrpc = `0004.0000.cygwin1.0bin'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/dev/ct
  (default) = `//./tape0'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\00
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\01
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\03
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\04
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\05
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\06
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\07
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\08
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\09
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\0F
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\10
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\11
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\12
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\13
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\14
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\16
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\17
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\18
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\19
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1A
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
setup\b15.0\mounts\1D

Listing available drives...
Drv Type        Size   Free Flags              Name
a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  NTFS    1500Mb  98% CP CS UN PA FC     Ultreia
d:  hd  NTFS     264Mb  74% CP CS UN PA FC     SUSEIA
fd=floppy, hd=hard drive, cd=CD-ROM, net=Network Share
CP=Case Preserving, CS=Case Sensitive, UN=Unicode
PA=Persistent ACLS, FC=File Compression, VC=Volume Compression

Mount entries: these map POSIX directories to your NT drives.
-NT-  -POSIX-  -Type-  -Flags-
\\.\tape0  /dev/ct  system  binmode
C:\bin  /usr/bin  user    binmode
C:\lib  /usr/lib  user    binmode
C:    /        user    binmode

Looking to see where common programs can be found, if at all...
Found: C:\bin\bash.exe
Found: \bin\bash.exe
Warning: C:\bin\bash.exe hides \bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\bin\cat.exe
Found: \bin\cat.exe
Warning: C:\bin\cat.exe hides \bin\cat.exe
Not Found: cpp (good!)
Found: C:\bin\find.exe
Found: \bin\find.exe
Warning: C:\bin\find.exe hides \bin\find.exe
Not Found: gcc
Not Found: gdb
Found: C:\bin\ld.exe
Found: \bin\ld.exe
Warning: C:\bin\ld.exe hides \bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\bin\ls.exe
Found: \bin\ls.exe
Warning: C:\bin\ls.exe hides \bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\delphipe\Delphi4\Bin\make.exe
Found: C:\bin\sh.exe
Found: \bin\sh.exe
Warning: C:\bin\sh.exe hides \bin\sh.exe

Looking for various Cygnus DLLs...  (-v gives version info)
  587k 2000/03/01 C:\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/3/1 5:15
  587k 2000/03/01 \bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2000/3/1 5:15

the output of mt -f /.. status 3

bash-2.03$ mt -f /dev/ct status 3
tape capacity    :        0 KB          remaining        :        0 KB
current block    :        0             write protected  :       no

cur block size   :     1024
hw err correction:       on
report setmarks  :      off

Features:
---------
hw compression   :  no                  erase on bop only: yes
hw err correction: yes                  erase immediately:  no
sw eject media   :  no                  long erase op    :  no
write protection : yes                  short erase op   : yes
fixed length blks: yes                  fixed partitions :  no
var length blks  :  no                  select partitions:  no
get abs blockaddr: yes                  returns capacity : yes
get log blockaddr: yes                  returns remaining: yes
data padding     :  no                  report setmarks  : yes
rep EOT warn size:  no                  initiator partit.:  no
abs blk position : yes                  abs blk immediate:  no
log blk position : yes                  log blk immediate:  no
filemark position: yes                  rel blk position : yes
end data position: yes                  reverse position : yes
immediate spacing:  no                  immediate rewind :  no
sequential filem.: yes                  sequential setm. : yes
set block size   :  no                  set compression. :  no
set hw compress. :  no                  set data padding :  no
setmark position : yes                  set report setm. :  no
load and unload  :  no                  un/load immediate:  no
lock and unlock  : yes                  un/lock immediate:  no
tape retension   : yes                  retens. immediate:  no
write filemarks  : yes                  write setmarks   : yes
write long filem.:  no                  write marks immed:  no
write shrt filem.:  no                  set EOT warn size:  no
bash-2.03$
I have think that 1024 may be a setting
that belongs to ntbackup.

Thanks.