Net release 1.1.0, possible to create orphan files

Hi everyone.  I've discovered a possible bug in Cygwin or Windows.  I am
running Cygwin Net Release 1.1.0 and Windows 2000 Professional RC2.  I
haven't yet had a chance to try on Windows 2000 release or NT 4 but I will
see what I can do.

unpacked the tar file to /tmp of Cygwin.  Among the files in the tar file
was a file named (without the quotes) ".wine/.cachedmetrics.:0.0"  This is,
of course, not a valid NT name. However, tar managed to create a file called
".wine/.cachedmetrics." which shows up in a Windows directory listing as
".wine/.cachedmetrics." and under a Cygwin directory listing as:

bash-2.03$ ls -al
ls: .cachedmetrics.: No such file or directory

The problem:  The file is aparently orphaned and I can't delete it using
Cygwin or the Windows Explorer.  An attempt to do so in the Windows Explorer
tells me: "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk."
Attempting to delete it in bash yields: "rm: .cachedmetrics.: No such file
or directory"

I was finally able to delete the file in a Windows Command Prompt using wild
card expansion.  Trying to delete the file itself didn't work:
C:\cygroot\tmp\.wine>del .cachedmetrics.
Could Not Find C:\cygroot\tmp\.wine\.cachedmetrics.

but this did work:
C:\cygroot\tmp\.wine>del .cache*

The following c snippet will recreate the problem.  So, my question is this
a Windows bug, Cygwin bug, or "as advertised feature"?  Thanks much!

-----------------
#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
 FILE *f;
 char fname[] = ".test.:0.0";
 if ( (f=fopen(fname,"w+")) == 0)
 {
  fprintf(stderr,"cannot create file %s\n",fname);
  return 0;
 }
 fclose(f);
 return 0;