Re: //localdriveletter/ broken?

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 05:56:45AM -0700, Mo DeJong wrote:
>On Sun, 7 May 2000, Norbert Schulze wrote:
>This was changed in the net release.  One would now use
>/cygdrive/c/Temp to access C:\Temp.

It wasn't changed.  It was deprecated.  //c/foo still works fine for me,
as it should.  /cygdrive/c/directory/file is the preferred method, though.

If there is a *backslash* anywhere in that path, however, then that will
no longer work in recent snapshots.  We've made the decision that if you
have a backslash in your filename you are intending to use MS-DOS syntax
which, of course, does not understand the old //x cygwin convention for
referencing a disk drive.

>> Is //localdriveletter/directory/file a valid syntax for
>> accessing files? The eCos 1.3.1 GUI configuration tool generates
>> makefiles with this type of pathes. But since cygwin
>> snapshot 2000-May-03 this is broken and make throws error
>> 'No such file or directory'.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager (and developer)
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company