Re: Status of availability of features which allow correct and seamless support of DLLs in current GNU-Win32 releases

> DD> Yup.  Early version.  Grows more each revision, we hope.
>
>     Sorry, I don't understand this. Is there any changes was done
> to ld on this matter since  1999-08-18 or is it supposed that they
> will be done?

I don't recall.  The sources are in CVS if you want to check, but PE
support has been broken for a while, so new features are hard to add.

> DD> You can't put them in the .def file yourself?
>
>     If I will put data symbols in defs myself for every X-Server,
> GNOME, KDE, etc. which I'm going to port, I will hardly port single.
> Which is exactly the current situation ;-)

An automated porting effort using DLLs with data is going to be hard
anyway.  Either way, you *must* modify the sources to understand that
the data is coming from the DLL, or it won't work.

>     Strange, it seems to be really nondeterministic bug. I deleetd

Odd.  I don't suppose you could check the sources and see if it's
an easily fixable bug, could you?  I'm kinda busy at the moment.
The code is probably in ld/pe-dll.c

>     Such rule would be nice for msvc manual, but hardly for gcc's.
> Whole talk about porting stuff to win32, not writing own. It was

Then the easy solution is "don't use dlls".  Link statically.

> all. If Unix lives without them, win32 will live also. Period. ;-)

Except Unix has elf shared libraries, which are designed for the way
Unix needs them to work.