Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...

> That's a rhetorical question, right?

Only if you know the right answer.

> The answer in both cases is so that
> the original copyright holder (ie. the person creating the original
> software) cannot later change their mind with respect to the copyright and
> put new licensing restriction onto their software.

This can't happen anyway, with the GPL.  Once distributed under the
GPL, the original owner no longer has the right or ability to change
the distribution terms - it's a legal contract, binding for all time.
They can only distribute a *new* version with different terms.

> In the case of the FSF, they require that the software be GPL'ed and
> remain GPL'ed (they are a "not-for-profit" corporation, right?).

Yes, but simply distributing under the terms of the GPL would be
enough for this.

> In the case of companies (including Cygnus), once they are assigned
> the copyright, couldn't they put restrictions on the software that
> would be to their benefit as far as sale and redistribution of the
> software?

Yes, but only for *new* versions.  Versions already released remain
under their old terms.  Plus, you kinda have to trust whoever you
assign copyright to.  Even though Cygnus allows some proprietary use,
we still have a long history of using and promoting the GPL, and
people trust us to continue doing so.  Same for the FSF.
See GPL section 10:

  10. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Program into other free
      programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to
      the author to ask for permission.  For software which is
      copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation, write to the Free
      Software Foundation; we sometimes make exceptions for this.  Our
      decision will be guided by the two goals of preserving the free
      status of all derivatives of our free software and of promoting
      the sharing and reuse of software generally.

They would not be allowed to do this if you didn't assign copyright to
them.