From: Chris Faylor [mailto:cgf@cygnus.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 11:46 PM
To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'
Subject: Re: How is textmode/binmode determined in Cygwin 1.1.0 net
release fo r pipes?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 07:02:01PM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>The default mount mode for the 1.1.0 Net Relesae is binary mode.  This is a
>change from the text mode of b20.1.  If your text files contain \r\n then
you
>need to do one of:
>
>1) force the mounts back to text
>2) tr -d '\r' < somefile > newsomefile && mv newsomefile somefile
>3) find one of the dos to unix tools and build it to convert the files.

Earnie, this has nothing to do with pipes.  Pipes follow the CYGWIN=binmode
setting.  That's what CYGWIN=binmode is for, actually.  The mount command
doesn't affect pipes.

However, if a pipe is explicitly opened in O_BINARY or O_TEXT mode it
should ignore any CYGWIN=[no]binmode setting.

Let me repeat my standard observation that this is open source.  You can
actually check the source code to get answers to these kind of
questions.

cgf