RE: cygwin programs won't end!

Ernie,

I agree with you. And that is where I set it. (in the cygwin.bat file)

However, for some reason, on my new laptop, where I have cleanly
installed the new net release (cygwin 1.1.0), If I set

CYGWIN=tty

(with any other combination), I get a delay of around 10 to 15
seconds for any command to complete. So I decided just to leave
it unset and take the defaults. So far, I haven't had any problems
as a result (actually, as I found out, this caused bash in xterms
not to exit properly.) The reason I tried this in the first place was to
trouble shoot my rxvt+vim+backspace problem. (which was solved by
Chuck Wilson by having me rebuild rxvt with the
--disable-backspace-key)

UPDATE: before I sent this message, I just read a reply to your mail
from Bob McGowan who said:

> I did a short test of the new net release and also noticed this slow
> return to the prompt after completion.  One added piece of info that may
> help is that it seems to be specific to the DOS console.  I have X11
> setup and when bash was running in an xterm, there was no slow exit
> problem.  I have 'tty' set in my CYGWIN variable.

I got the same results as Bob. No problem in X; only with a console window.
This also fixed a "bash not exiting properly" problem I had with an Xterm.
If I leave CYGWIN unset, when I exit an Xterm, I have to manually kill the
window and the bash process shows up as "<defunct>". However, if I set
CYGWIN=tty. It exits properly. Thanks, Bob!

--Kevin Wright
  Mountain View, CA