Unable to find entry point _WinMainCRTStartup

I've been having trouble making a simple test program using -mwindows which
works fine under Cygwin b20.1 as well as Mingw32. During the linking, gcc
replies with the subject quote, then defaults to 00401000 and successfully
runs to completion.  I've reinstalled the new net release with no change in
this behavior.  A character search comes up with crt1.o containing this
text.  Mingw32 includes both a crt1.o and a crt2.o.  I've already
uninstalled b.20.1 and so cannot compare with that version.  Is there a
missing file, or is this warning something which is a known characteristic
and benign?  Thanks for your attention,
  Gene Hannan