RE: Cygwin 1.1.0 gdb troubles

Title: RE: Cygwin 1.1.0 gdb troubles

> The main reason for cygwin pids is that there is no corresponding
> exec*() style interface in Win32 land.  Most programs which
> use fork/exec
> also rely on the fact that the exec'ed process has the same PID as the
> fork.  There is no way to do this using the Win32 API.

Thanks for the explanation Chris.  It had been a while since I dealt with fork/exec and I'd forgotten how much they rely on a certain PID behavior.  So the only other way to go would be to assign win32 processes cygwin pids which would probably lead to more yuckiness; and maybe there is not a way to muck with the internals of windows such that cygwin is always resident and receiving notification of new win32 process/thread creation.  Ick.  Oh well.  :)

Brian