Re: No such file or directory

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 03:02:29PM -0800, Rick Rankin wrote:
>I wasn't necessarily saying that it is the "wrong" solution, just that it needs
>to be considered carefully. I wasn't aware that other POSIX layers (I assume
>you are referring to UWIN or similar) have sucessfully implemented a similar
>feature. I haven't thought it through, but on the surface, it does seem that it
>could solve many compatability issues.

I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing your opinion.  I guess I run that
risk if I "quote" too many "things", like I did "below", though.

I've had wildly different opinions about this over the years, so I can easily
argue either side.  :-)

>If you decide to implement it, should it be selectable via, for example, a
>CYGWIN environment variable setting?

I guess we could do this.  This is YA thing where my opinion has evolved
over the years.  Geoff Noer and I used to disagree about implementing
more CYGWIN options.  Geoff thought that it was a good idea to be very
conservative about adding new options and I thought that it didn't
really matter.

These days, I agree with Geoff.  I don't know if his opinion has similarly
reversed or not, though.  My main reason for limiting options is that it
makes support a little harder.

Anyway, that said, it is worth considering an option.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company