RE: not updating unwritable cache ../config.cache

At 06:15 PM 3/24/00, John Wiersba wrote:
> [...]

Options that I know of that exist for NT include:

   - set ntea in you CYGWIN environment variable (actually I'm not sure this
     addresses the test problem).  This has the detriment of creating a file
     EA DATA. SF at the root of FAT drives that grows very quickly and is
     hard to get rid of (permissions of all files are saved here).  No such
     file is required or used for NTFS.

   - Use a recent snapshot with CYGWIN set to ntsec, following Corinna's
     instructions exactly.  This works on NTFS drives only.

Have you checked with others on this list with regard to Perl's problem
here.  I haven't watched that closely but it seems to me I recall others
on this list reporting Perl running well under Cygwin.  I haven't
investigated Cygwin Perl myself.

>Is it fixed in one of the later snapshots?  I don't want to be on the
>bleeding edge, but I do want to be able to compile the cygwin code on my
>machine.  Is there a relatively stable snapshot I should upgrade to?

Generally speaking, snapshots are for development only.  They don't get
"saved".  I expect you'd find using ntsec with a recent snapshot would
resolve the problem but I don't know for sure.  Of course, if you try this,
you will be working with the current stuff, so you will run a risk.  Still,
if you really want to find a solution for this, you may be interested in
actually looking at the code in the cygwin DLL and trying to see what's
going on, in which case you need current source.;-)  Also, a mitigating
factor might be that the current thought is that a new net release is
pending, which means that the "bleeding edge" may be more stable at this
point than it would be otherwise.  You're best bet always is to back up the
version you have before moving forward, in case you decide you need to fall
back.

Larry