Cygwin directory slash problem?

Hello

I would like some help on setting up Cygwin to work with other IDEs and editors for compiling and linking C /C++ programs.

For some reason, my installation of Cygwin does not accept the backslash (\) but only accepts the forward slash as in Linux (/) at the bash prompt or at the gcc input. Is this the default behaviour that cannot be changed? Or is there somewhere I can change this? I have some problems getting Cygwin to work with Dev C++ (which does not provide the option of changing the backslash to forward slash), and would like to know what to do as the help files online did not show how to.

Thanks

WT