Re: "mount"

Sean Champ wrote:

> for cygwin-b20.1 on w98:
>
> i remember reading something about the mounting-system changing between b20.1 and the current snapshots (or something similar to that, hopefully), so maybe this is irrelevant to those
>
> but what exactly could cause "mount" to say that a pathname does not exist, when it looks definitely like it does?
>
> eg:
> == == == ==
>
> % mount -b c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin /bin
>
> returns:
>
> "Warning: /bin does not exist!"
>
> ( and
>    % cd /bin
>    % dir
>   shows all o.k.)
>
> == == == ==
>
> also, if i'm mounting /bin like that, will it cause things in ~/i586-cygwin32/bin to be ignored?  or are those things a redundancy for someone not currently doing cygwin-builds for multiple platforms?
>
> ( and is i586 any different than what might be built on an AMD K6 ?)
>
> thanks
>
> -- sean
>
> --

Did you do the cd to, and dir of, /bin _after_ running the mount
command?  If so, the association of "/bin" to the directory
"c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/h-i586-cygwin32/bin" has been made and a cd to
/bin will "translate" to the other.

Try doing a "cd /" and "ls".  If "bin" does not show up in the output,
then that is what "mount" is complaining about.  I just tried this and
the results follow (directory name is different since I have a /bin
already):

  $ ls houdini
  ls: houdini: No such file or directory
  $ mount -b i:/ $PWD/houdini
  Warning: /home/bob/houdini does not exist!
  $ ls
  Company Info         downloads            projects
  archives             inputrc              tmp
  bin                  mail                 tools
  broadcasts           megami
  cygwin stuff         mymail
  $ cd houdini
  /home/bob/houdini