Re: Native Win32 compiling... strange error

Joe,

Joe Kraska <jkraska@bbn.com> wrote:
> Hi. Well, I read the fact and searched the archives the best I
> knew  how. Here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> Using the b20 standard release, I am attempting to compile a
> native  windows application with gcc. The include files I am
> using are
> the ones in Microsoft's own SDK, and I am expecting to link
> with the libs there as well. I am, in fact, attempting to compile
>  the "Brouhahah" example from (chapter 13?) _Inside Direct X_.
> Here is, literally, what happens:
>
> jkraska% gnumake --unix
> mkdir -p ./WIN98
> gcc -c -mno-cygwin -mwindows -g -I/g/sdk/Include -DNT brouhaha.C
> -o WIN98/brouhaha.o
                                                   ~~~~
! It could possibly be this little argument right here^ that says
you're compiling for NT.
> In file included from \g\sdk\Include\windef.h:166,
> from \g\sdk\Include\windows.h:171,
> from brouhaha.h:6,
> from brouhaha.C:1:
> \g\sdk\Include\winnt.h:705: #error Must define a target
> architecture.  make: *** [WIN98/brouhaha.o] Error 1
>
> Some clarification: "brouhaha.h" is the first file included by
> "brouhaha.C". "windows.h" is the first file included by
> "brouhaha.h".  I'm unclear why what happens next happens.
> Obviously "winnt.h" is  being included and a preprocessor
> #if/else combination is not happy.  I am compiling under Windows
> 98, so I'm unclear why "winnt.h" is  being included, but I am
> assuming right now that it's normal and  somehow related to
> portability. But the failure to find a define  is not normal, so
> am I doing something wrong???
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> It appears that winnt.h expects a #define to have been
> #defined. It's a bit irregular that I should be expected to do
> this myself, however, so I'm worried that I'm not invoking
> the compiler correctly.
>

> Joe Kraska
> San Diego
> CA
>

> --

Warm Regards,

W. Terry Lincoln
Senior Solution Developer [Linux Registered User #99583]
Ciber corporation
<mailto: WTerryLincoln@engineer.com>
<mailto: llincol1@rochester.rr.com>
<http://www.geocities.com/terry_lincoln>