RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable na me (a.exe now)

Title: RE: [mingw32] Re: [RFC] changing gcc default output executable name (a.exe now)

> I'd like to ask for comments on another issue related to
> portability from
> UNIX --> cygwin, compilation etc.: the way it is now, the linker
> automagically appends a .exe suffix to the executable
> filename. If you do
>
> gcc -o foo foo.o
>
> ld will create foo.exe .
> Am I missing something or is this a real problem?

I think this should be handled automatically if using autoconf and automake, especially when using automake since the install targets for executables are created by it from bin_PROGS or similar.  The cygwin stuff in autoconf provides a variable which can be checked in Makefiles to do something specific for a cygwin environment and another variable to do something cygwin specific in configure.

Brian