Re: Problem building CVS-1.10.x

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- "Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@adelphia.net> wrote:
> Ah, Steve, you've not read my pages yet I see.

I'm there now..

(slight pause)

Ok, looks good.  In particular, the proposed directory structure makes
great sense.  However, I'm skeptical that this alone is causing cvs not to
run.

> Is the cvs a Cygwin binary?  I'm thinking you built it using Cygwin
> but to be sure `cygcheck cvs' should list the cygwin1.dll in it's
> output.

This is what results:

Found: .\cvs-1.10.7.exe
Found: f:\local\bin\cvs-1.10.7.exe
.\cvs-1.10.7.exe
  C:\CYGNUS\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\BIN\cygwin1.dll
    C:\WINNT\System32\advapi32.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\USER32.dll
        C:\WINNT\System32\GDI32.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\RPCRT4.dll

Use -h to see help about each section

> > 	/bin
> > 	/usr/local/bin
> > 	/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN
> > 	/bin
> > 	/usr/local/bin
> > 	/WINNT/system32
> > 	/WINNT
>
> It will be to your benefit to clean up the path for Cygwin.  This can
> be best accomplished by adding `export
> PATH=/bin:/usr/local/bin:/dosD/cvs:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT` to your
> ~/.bashrc file.

You stumped me here.  The shell won't run unless
/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN is on the path.  I did rework it to keep
redundancy to a mimimum:

/usr/local/bin:/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN:/WINNT/system32:/WINNT

> >                   "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/12/3 23:39
> > Use -h to see help about each section
> >

> This version of the cygwin1.dll is broken (see my webpages).  You need
> at least the Jan 15th snapshot.  I would suggest that you even get the
> latest snapshot from the snapshots page

> (http://sourcware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/).  You'll need the

> cygwin-inst tarball and the most recent cygwin1-YYYYMMDD.dll.gz.  Be
> sure to have a fall back procedure as all of the caveats apply.

I updated to most recent cygwin1-YYYYetc.. and cywin-inst.  No change in
(mis)behavior.  It would be great if someone could double-check me on
this by downloading any recent cvs newer than 1.10.5 or so and building
with the configure defaults.  If you can check modules from a unix-based
CVS server, you're further than I'm getting.

Thanks for the tips, please keep them coming!

Steve