Re: Pb SSH, Files ownership

--- Jean-Paul Le Fevre <J-P.LeFevre@cea.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having some difficulties with SSH, Cygwin, under NT.
>
> - First I tried to play with the version 1.2.27.
>   But it didn't work, the programs complained that _ctype_ was
>   missing in the cygwin1.dll. In the archive of this mailing list
>   Sergey mentionned that his updated version of the library fixes
>   the problem. So I installed it but it didn't change anything.
>   I've checked carefully that no other versions of the lib are
>   present, that _ctype_ is found with nm(1) in the lib.
>   Cygcheck -s shows a normal config. So I can't figure out what's
>   wrong.
>
> - I gave a try to version 1.2.26. Most of the commands work fine,
>   except ssh-agent. It fails with the message :
>   "Bad modes or owner for directory '/tmp/ssh-lefevre'"
>   This directory is correctly created but it's not owned by me but
>   by a user named "admin".
>
> - I think that I created this account some months (or years) ago and that
>   I used it to install cygwin. I've set up a passwd and a group file.
>   But I'm unable to chown existing files. Actually, I'm completely
>   confused with ownership and groups : being me (lefevre) if I create
>   a new file, this file does not belong to me but to admin.
>
> Help would be welcome ! thank you,

What version of the cygwin1.dll are you using?  The output of uname -a would be
useful.  As far as the files belonging to admin, this is a NT feature; if the
user belongs to the admin group then the files are owned by the Administrator.
See the ntsec.sgml file in the cygwin-inst snapshot tarball.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
Cygwin Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>