nothing is functionning !

I tried to install cygwin and thought I succeeded 'till...
When executing cygwin, I get the msdos window with the bash prompt:
"bash-2.02$"
And also a warning message: "could not find /tmp, please create!"
Ok, I read the doc about installation and it's written I have to create
that directory with the mkdir command... The answer is "command not
found".
A lot of other commands are not functionning neither.
More and more strange, such commands like ls, mount, ... have
functionned in the past but only once !

So what's the next step with that software ?

My computer is running windows nt 4 service pack 3.

Thanks in advance

Didier Vaiser