can't turn off horizontal-scroll-mode (in bash)

[First, thanks to all those who replied about my Perl problem. After
getting the Perl compiled for CygWin, everything worked fine. I should
have thought of this. Maybe the same is true for the following problem as
well, but I have scoured through the User's Guide and the FAQ, as well as
the mailing list archive.]

I was finally able to make bash read my .inputrc by converting it to UNIX
text format. The problem is that the one setting I care most about is
simply ignored, i.e. is the setting to turn horizontal command line
scrolling off:

# turn off annoying horizontal command line scrolling
set horizontal-scroll-mode Off
# test setting to see if .inputrc is read
set completion-query-items 10

I am using B20.1 on Windows NT 4.0.