Make in gcc-2.95.2-msvcrt redux

Hmmmm, a little more sophisticated searching on the mail archives tells me
a little, but another odd thing, something I've forgotten, is where SHELL
is defined as a variable? I don't define it in the startup MingGW.bat, nor
in .mingwrc (Used to polish up the login with aliases and such), and
nowhere in there is a reference to SHELL but somehow when bash starts up,
there it is, SHELL=/bin/sh

That's only the beginning snag, when I
export SHELL=
and run that gcc-2.95.2 make on a makefile containing TOP=$(shell pwd) it
still fails,
expand_function: unable to launch process (e=193)

???????

jmh