Re: Unable to Type Lower Case e in the Bash Window

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 05:57:42AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >--- Gus Baldauf <gus@transbay.net> wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>

> >Hello Gus,
> >
> >> I just installed Cygwin 1.0.  When I open a bash window and I try to type
> or
> >> paste the lower case letter e, nothing appears in the window and the
> computer
> >> beeps at me.  For example, I can not enter the commands cygcheck, exit,
> echo
> >> or
> >> set.  All other upper and lower case letters work fine.
> >>
> >-8<-
> >
> >I checked the output from cygcheck.  There is a bug in the Install process
> that
> >leaves you with two different records in the registry for the / directory.
> >Change to the bin directory containing umount and mount, then do `./umount /
> &&
> >./mount 'e:\' /' and that should resolve the problem.
>
> Earnie, I only see one mount point in the cygcheck output and it is
> correct:
>
> E:\Cygwin  /        system  binmode

Oh, sorry the information below is what confused me.  However, Gus' b20.1 setup
was in text mode and he now has binmode.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\07
  (default) = `e:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\1.00.000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = 0x0000000a
  native = `E:\Cygwin'

> I think that your advice will actually cause problems since your telling
> him to set his root to e:\ which does not appear to be correct.  If Gus
> wants to try this, the correct way to do it is:
>
>     umount /
>     mount -f -b e:\ /
>
> (from the Windows command-shell prompt)
>
> I'm not familiar with this particular problem but it doesn't sound like
> a mount problem to me.

Gus' problem with not seeing an 'e' when typed could be related to the .inputrc
file.  It must contain UNIX style line endings in order to work correctly and
will only work correctly it it resides on a binary mode mounted directory
without the patch I sent earlier.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
Cygwin Newbies, please visit