Re: Building cygwin32_ipc-1.03 for v1.0 - questions about v1

Thanks for the info !

I guess I've seen prior references to the relationship between Cygwin
and MSVC, but I come from a long Unix background, and my referents
tend to be from that perspective.

I still tend to balk at /opt for package installs but that seems to be the
current trend. The /usr/local directory is the default for Gnu software, and
/usr/contrib rather than /contrib is more traditional.  I guess I would have
made a /src/contrib instead of a /contribsrc, and a /src/contrib/patches
instead of /contribpatches.  But, forgive me, I'm just being nit-picky.  I can
organize my installation to my own liking, without asking that Cygnus do
it for me.

As for sending questions to cygwin-info@Cygnus.com, ...after purchasing
my v1 CD, I sent them a query about the added tax, since I thought that
there has been a moratorium on taxes on Internet purchases.  I received
no response.  No problem, the CD is still worth the money.

With regard to the manuals, Corinna pointed out that online docs for Linux
are adequate, and they are - I hadn't thought of looking there.

The thing about coexistence of v1 and a development tree is that I'd like to
keep them completely separate, rather than intermingled.  I consider v1 as
my stable release, for now.  I'd like a wholly separate directory tree for
gcc 2.95.2, and for playing around with things that might break something.
You're right, I can probably play around with the PATH to do most of what
I looking for.  I did check to see if the symlinks allowed embedded $VAR
references, and they apparently don't.

It just seemed that more flexible use of the registry would open up
possibilities.

Regards,
Doug Wyatt