Extra Boldening ofText in Man Screen Displays

  I have recently installed Pierre Humblet's man port (1_5f) in tandem with the current CygWin
release (B20.1) on my Win95 Gateway PentiumII laptop. After fixing the usual hyphen problem, I am
left with the difficulty of a lot of text that appears on the screen as bold when it should be
ordinary. For example, when displaying the man page for the command ls, in the SYNOPSIS section the
initial ls is in bold (as it should be), but so are the first 41 printing characters of the next
line (from [-I pattern] through [--dire), as are the first 41 printing characters of the following
line, and so on down to the DESCRIPTION section. It too has overly bold text: the word "This" in
the first line is bold, and then the first 41 printing characters of the following line are also
bold,... However, the second paragraph in the DESCRIPTION section display (beginning "This manual
page documents the GNU version of ls.") appears to display correctly, with only those things
emboldened that should be.
  It appears that the problem is only associated with the screen display, as the formatted page
doesn't show unexpected peculiarities when directed to a file output.
  I have attached a Word document ("lsManPageStart.doc") that reproduces the difficulty with the
start of the "man ls" screen pretty faithfully, with the improper boldening of text. Also attached
is the result of directing the man display to a file ("lsManPageOut.txt"). Does anyone have a fix
for this problem? Pierre Humblet has already been more than kind with his time, so I'm a little
reluctant to bother him again.
   Garrett Sylvester
   gsylvester@gdats.com

cygcheck.out (OUT File)

lsManPageOut.txt (Text Document)

lsManPageStart.doc (Microsoft Word Document)