Re: _impure_ptr error mesage

--- Mark Schoenberg <mark@lpb.niams.nih.gov> wrote:
>      I have installed gcc-2.95 separate from Cygwin-b20.1 and have been
> experiencing problems using it instead of the b20.1 gcc.  Does anyone know
> the
> meaning of the error message "undefined reference to _impure_ptr" which seems
> to appear for me using gcc-2.95 with "-mno-cygwin" when I have used code that
> references things like getchar, putchar, getc (but not fgetc), putc (but not
> fputc), stdout and stderr.  Could it mean that these things are included in
> Cygwin but not the latest port of Mingw?  That would be wierd!  Is it
> possible
> I need a #include<whatever.h> in my code?

It means that you're including the incorrect headers.  You've included the
Cygwin headers and not the Mingw32 headers.  Perhaps you've picked up the wrong
specs file.

To avoid these problems I use two seperate environments in which I put into
somewhat standard directories the headers and the libraries for each different
package.  I.E.: I put cygwin headers into /root/cygwin/usr/include and I put
mingw32 headers into /root/mingw32/usr/include setting up the other appropriate
directories under /root/cygwin and /root/mingw32.  I then use a .bat file to
umount / and mount \\root\\cygwin / or mount \\root\\mingw32 dependant upon
which I want to use.  The only caveat is that you can use both at the same
time.

If you need more details let me know.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>