Re: mingw32 DLL getting main args?

"Colin Peters" <colinp@ma.kcom.ne.jp> writes:

> The reason DLLs call getmainargs to parse the command line list
> is so that they can provide the MS-like _argc and _argv variables for
> access by functions within the DLL. Check init.c, which is #included
> (yuck) in dllcrt1.c. If you like you can remove the declarations from
> stdlib.h and work up a DLL version of init.c to remove the dependency
> of your DLL on the C run-time library. (I suspect this hasn't changed
> in Mumit's version, I must admit I only checked my source.)
>
> I suppose the other reason I didn't worry much about this was that I
> wasn't expecting people to write much DLL code without calling any
> C library functions.

We can actually avoid some of these issues by importing argc and argv
from the CRTDLL and MSVCRT directly instead of providing static
definitions created at startup. I believe that's what MSVCRT dynamic
startup does, and Mingw currently provides the behaviour of static LIBC
instead. It works of course, and that's probably the reason why it hasn't
been a problem till now.

I'll take a look at the DLL issue and see what we can do without breaking
existing code.

Colin, if you would like a newer snapshot, please let me know.

Regards,
Mumit