Win95 system() Call Help Needed

To whom it may concern,

I have been using gcc to compile my C program on Win95.  Overall the
compiler works
great.  But, there is one problem I would really like to find a solution
to.  When I run
my program in a cygwin window everything works great.  However, if I run
my program
in a Win95 command prompt window, the C "system()" call does not work.
I even
try something simple like system("echo hi"); and I get nothing.  I am
sure the cygwin1.dll
runtime software is in the same folder as my program but still nothing.
It would help
me greatly if this call would work in a standard Win95 command window.
Please
let me know if I am doing something wrong or any suggestions on
specifics of what
I can try.  My current work around is to run my C program through a .bat
file but
these .bat files are not very useful in Win95 because of all the special
aliased folder
names not conforming to DOS conventions.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
I believe we are using the latest gcc available as we
recently (approx. 1 month ago) downloaded gcc to get my C program to run
on Win95
so I am assuming we have the latest release.  When I do a gcc -v I get:
version=egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release).  If I do not have the
latest release,
please let me know what the latest vesion is an where to get it.  I am
assuming that
I have the correct release though because the manual for the release of
gcc says
that the system() call should be fixed.

Thanks in advance,
Robert Berndt