Re: C compilation slow on NT

"Emmanuel STAPF" <manus@eiffel.com> writes:
> Sorry to bother you guys. I read  a thread not too long ago about the poor
> performance of gcc on Windows NT. I was trying to find the solution given in
> the mailing list archive, but it is not easy due to the poor search
> possibilities offered by the web page.
>
> Can someone send me what has to be modified so that gcc does not do lookup
> on the network? Thanks in advance.
>
> Otherwise, I notice that make was slow too. Any idea?

The trick is to make sure that network drives are not in your PATH, and also
that you have HOME defined correctly and it's not '/'. On NT, these could be
in the registry and can stay hidden.

The trouble with HOME is the following: let's say you HOME=/ defined
in the environment. Some of the tools, eg. gdb, tries to find startup files
in $HOME/<startupfile>, and some of these append an extra '/' and so it
expands to '//<startupfile>' and that's a UNC path. Takes a while before
it times out.

Regards,
Mumit