From: Mumit Khan [mailto:khan@thor.xraylith.wisc.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 8:01 PM
To: Whitney, John
Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: why gcc.exe compilation SLOW on NT?

John Whitney <john.whitney@ssmb.com> writes:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I didn't expect my "helloworld.c" program to take 10 minutes to compile
> via cygwin's gcc.exe (version egcs-2.91.57) on my NT machine.  The
> compile did complete and the resulting exe does run, but why so long to
> compile?

Check your PATH to make sure there're not network/UNC paths in it.
Start a bash console window, reset your PATH to the minimum necessary
and see if that fixes the problem. A common problem is when you have
bunch of Novell or NT servers in your PATH and collect2 checks those
to find the subprograms it needs to run, and ends up spending lots of
time waiting on the servers. It's not unique to NT of course -- same
happens with Unix if you're using NFS/AFS/etc.

fyi, when you report these problems, it's always good have to provide
more information, such as the output of `cygcheck -s -r'. Yours is
certainly an "environment" related problem.

Regards,
Mumit