fork/exec problem in bash?

We're using Cygwin B19 bash on NT4.0. We're seeing some surprising
behavoir from a bash script that runs make. The script does something
like this:

	make Makefiles
	make includes
	make libraries
	make programs

All four passes (Makefiles, includes, libraries, programs)
are running at the same time. If I may describe this in Unix
terms, it's as if bash does the first fork and exec, then
does a wait (for the "make Makefiles" to finish), but the
wait returns immediately, and the script goes on to the next pass.

This behavior isn't specific to make; the same thing happens when
the script calls another script. In fact, we have several scripts
that cooperate to run our builds, and they all show this same
problem when they call each other.

We can't reproduce this behavior reliably. It happens a few
times, then goes away. Rebooting seems to help, but only if you
wait a few minutes after rebooting before running the script.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas or advice or hints?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Pete