Re: FW: your software site

> This is a bit off topic, but has been discussed here.  I was under
> the impression GPL'ed software cannot be soft for profit.
> Therefore, on my web sites siddiqi.webjump.com and geocities.com, i
> posted notes the binaries were covered under GPL therefore cannot be
> sold for profit.
>
> I received the following message from FSF requesting to delete the
> licensing note because it was misleading.  According to the
> following message, "one cannot charge a usage fee for GPL
> software."?

GPL'd software can be *sold* for a profit.  What you can't do is
charge a *license* fee.  For example, you can charge $1,000,000 per
CDrom for software (binaries plus source, of course), but you can't
charge $1 per user for *permission* to use it.  Once the user has a
copy of the software, you can't restrict their use, and requiring a
fee for *use* is restricting.  You *can* charge a fee to *provide* the
software, though.